As reported by the MMC web portal, the state attorney’s office has filed the first lawsuit against the alleged organiser of the protests that have been happening every Friday for more than a year and a half now. Namely, the organiser is supposed to be Jaša Jenull. The Ministry of the Interior and the police claim that the unreported protests are causing damage. Due to the policing of the unregistered rallies, more than 1.2 million euros of costs have been created so far, said the police. Jenull, on the other hand, believes this is an intimidation tactic.
The lawsuit in question was filed by the State Attorney’s Office due to the costs of the police that were created because of the policing of the unregistered rallies, the office confirmed for the Dnevnik newspaper, but did not disclose any more information due to the protection of interests of the procedure. According to the newspaper, the lawsuit was filed last Wednesday and is directed against one of the most prominent representatives of the Friday’s anti-government protest movement, Jaša Jenull. The police claim that he is one of the organisers of the protests and consequently responsible for the accumulated costs.
The amount of money for which Jenull is being sued has not been disclosed by the State Attorney’s Office, nor is it known to which of the nearly 90 unregistered protest rallies the lawsuit relates to. This is said to be the first of dozens of potential lawsuits. Neither Jenull nor anyone else from the protest movement has received the lawsuit for now. The court is likely to send it to the defendants in about a week or two.
The police announced that the protection of protests, which have been happening every Friday from last year’s May to this year’s November, has generated more than 1.2 million euros of costs. “They are trying to prevent the protests from happening by making financial threats to individual protesters,” Jenull told the newspaper, saying that this was an intimidation tactic.