Former Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has warned that a new wave of migrants could be on the horizon as landings in Italy and Greece rise.
The leader of the Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP), who faces a national election on Sunday, told German media that he had a “feeling” that the number of migrants crossing into Europe from Africa and the Middle East could once again be on the rise, Kronen Zeitung reports.
“Not only do I have the feeling that something is brewing. But I also have the feeling that we in Europe are partly to blame,” Kurz said.
Kurz slammed the new Italian leftist coalition government saying they had enacted a “reversal in migration policy” by opening the country’s ports to migrant transport NGOs.
This criticism was echoed last week by Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjártó who argued that Europe was safer when populist leader Matteo Salvini occupied the post of interior minister due to his anti-mass migration policies.