Andy Murray loses to Tennys Sandgren in Winston-Salem Open first round

Andy Murray is still searching for his first singles win since hip surgery after losing 7-6 7-5 to Tennys Sandgren in the Winston-Salem Open first round.

The former world number one played with conviction and fluency in the first set, but lost it on a tie-break 10-8.

Despite recovering from a double break down to square the second set at 5-5, Britain's Murray was broken again by American world number 73 Sandgren.

"I think there was some good stuff in there," Murray, 32, told BBC Sport.

"I think my ball striking was better than last week. I hit quite a few more winners, came to the net quite a lot.

 

Read MORE

 

Sun Yang: Chinese swimmer's case to be heard by Cas in public

The Court of Arbitration for Sport is to hold its hearing into China's Olympic champion Sun Yang in public.

Sun's case was referred to Cas after the World Anti-Doping Agency appealed against a decision by swimming's governing body Fina to only issue Sun with a warning when he missed an out of competition test at his home in China.

The hearing will be just the second such session to be open to the public.

Freestyle specialist Sun, 27, missed a doping test in September 2018.

In January, Fina's doping panel cleared him of wrongdoing  on the grounds that testers had breached several rules, including failing to produce authorisation letters and a nursing licence.

 

Read MORE

 

  • Written by
  • Read: 16 times

Alexis Sanchez: Inter to make Man Utd loan offer for forward

Inter Milan expect to find out by Wednesday if they have a chance of signing Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on loan.

The Serie A club have already signed striker Romelu Lukaku from United and are now targeting the Chile international.

Speaking after United's draw at Wolves on Monday, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: "Let's see what happens.

"At the moment he is our player. Some clubs have shown interest in Alexis."

Sanchez, 30, was not named in United's squad to face Wolves on Monday.

 

Read MORE

 

Neymar left out of Paris St-Germain squad for second week running

Neymar has been left out of the Paris St-Germain squad for the second week in succession as speculation continues about his future.

The 27-year-old, who missed PSG's league opener against Nimes last weekend, has been the subject of bids from Barcelona and Real Madrid.

However, the French club are yet to accept an offer for the Brazil forward.

Coach Thomas Tuchel said "he won't be with us" for Sunday's game at Rennes, adding that he was still not fully fit.

While admitting that Neymar's future remains undecided, Tuchel said the former Barca attacker is still one of the most valuable players at the club.

 

Read MORE

 

Arsenal's Mesut Ozil & Sead Kolasinac '100%' ready to play

Arsenal manager Unai Emery is "100%" confident Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac are mentally ready to play against Burnley on Saturday.

The pair were left out of the Gunners' season-opening win over Newcastle because of "further security fears" after being involved in a carjacking attempt by an armed gang in July.

Midfielder Ozil and left-back Kolasinac have now returned to training.

"It's good news for us because they can help us in matches," Emery said.

"My focus is to be positive and focus on making sure the players are 100% in their minds here.

 

Read MORE

 

Neymar: Paris St-Germain reject Barcelona & Real Madrid bids for Brazil forward

Barcelona and Real Madrid have made unsuccessful offers for Paris St-Germain forward Neymar, says BBC Radio 5 Live's Guillem Balague.

Neymar's former club Barcelona are believed to have offered 100m euros (£92.4m) plus Philippe Coutinho.

Ivan Rakitic was also discussed with the French club as part of the deal for the 27-year-old Brazil international.

Real have put forward a deal that includes money as well as Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez.

PSG asked for Vinicius Junior but Real did not put his name in the frame.

 

Read MORE

 

Manchester City fined but avoid transfer ban for breaching Fifa rules on under-18 signings

Manchester City have avoided a transfer ban after admitting breaching Fifa rules on signing youth players.

The Premier League champions have been fined 370,000 Swiss Francs (£315,000).

Fifa said City breached article 19 of its regulations: "International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18."

City say the breaches, which all occurred before December 2016, were as a result of "misinterpretation of the regulations in question".

Chelsea were banned from signing players for two transfer windows for a similar rule breach - but the club are appealing to have that overturned.

 

Read MORE

 

  • Written by
  • Read: 39 times

Roma beat Real Madrid: Gareth Bale scores in shootout

Gareth Bale came on as a second-half substitute and scored in a penalty shootout as Real Madrid lost to Roma in a pre-season friendly in Rome.

Bale returned to the squad after missing numerous friendlies following the collapse of a move to China.

The game was drawn 2-2 in normal time, as equalisers from Roma's Diego Perotti and Edin Dzeko cancelled out goals from Marcelo and Casemiro.

Marcelo's miss gave Roma a 5-4 win in the shootout at the Stadio Olimpico.

Coach Zinedine Zidane said last month that Wales international Bale was "very close to leaving" Real having fallen out of favour at the Spanish giants, who begin their La Liga campaign at Celta Vigo next Saturday.

 

Read MORE

Mexico to remain on Formula 1 calendar until at least 2022

Mexico will remain on the Formula 1 calendar for three more years after a deal was agreed to expand the schedule to a record 22 races next season.

The race will change its name to the Mexico City Grand Prix from 2020.

Mexico returned to the schedule in 2015 after 23 years but faced an uncertain future, with the government suggesting funds might be allocated elsewhere.

New races will take place in Vietnam and the Netherlands from 2020, with Germany set to drop off the calendar.

Mexico City mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said the three-year agreement was based on a new financing model without the use of public resources.

 

Read MORE

 

Tiger Woods shoots four-over at first PGA Tour play-off event

Tiger Woods endured a difficult return as he shot a four-over 75 in the first of the PGA Tour's play-off events at Liberty National in New Jersey.

Woods was playing his first round since missing the cut in The Open last month.

He recorded five bogeys and one double bogey to lie 13 strokes behind early leader Troy Merritt, who fired a 62.

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy was three shots off the lead after a six-under 65 with England's Danny Willett a further shot back.

Scotland's Russell Knox also finished on five-under alongside 2018 Masters champion Patrick Reed.

 

Read MORE

 

Serena Williams tops Forbes' female rich list as tennis players dominate

The top 11 highest-earning female sport athletes over the past year are all tennis players.

Serena Williams, 37, a 23-time Grand Slam winner, tops the rich list, after earning $29.2m (£24.3m), including $25m (£20.57m) in endorsements, according to Forbes. 

Japan's Naomi Osaka, who beat Williams in the US Open final, is second.

US World Cup-winning striker Alex Morgan is the first non-tennis player at 12 after earning $5.8m (£4.77m).

Williams is the only woman to make it onto the Forbes top 100 best paid athletes list.

 

Read MORE

 

Transcontinental Race: Germany's Fiona Kolbinger becomes first female winner of endurance race

Germany's Fiona Kolbinger has beaten more than 200 men to become the first woman to win the Transcontinental Race, cycling more than 2,485 miles across Europe in just over 10 days.

The cancer researcher, 24, endured thunderstorms, scorching heat and icy rain in the solo race, which took her from Burgas, Bulgaria to Brest in north west France via five other countries.

After finishing in a time of 10 days, two hours and 48 minutes, Kolbinger says she could have "gone harder", adding: "I could have slept less."

Britain's Ben Davies took second place, reaching the finish more than 10 hours behind Kolbinger, in 10 days, 13 hours and 10 minutes.⁠

"I am so, so, surprised to win," said Kolbinger, who was one of 265 riders taking part, of which 40 were women. "When I was coming into the race I thought that maybe I could go for the women's podium, but I never thought I could win the whole race."

 

Read MORE

 

  • Written by
  • Read: 54 times

Bjorg Lambrecht: Belgian cyclist dies following crash during the Tour de Pologne

Belgian cyclist Bjorg Lambrecht has died at the age of 22 following a crash during stage three of the Tour de Pologne.

Lambrecht crashed around 60 miles from the end of the race from Chorzow to Zabrze in Poland.

He was taken by helicopter to hospital where he later died on Monday.

"The biggest tragedy possible that could happen to the family, friends and team-mates of Bjorg has happened. Rest in peace," said his team Lotto-Soudal.

Race director Czeslaw Lang said: "It wasn't a high-speed descent. It was a straight and wide road.

 

Read MORE

 

How Lewis Hamilton remained master to Max Verstappen's apprentice

Formula 1 has been waiting for a full-on battle between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen for years now. The Hungarian Grand Prix finally delivered it, and what a treat it was.

Verstappen in a slower Red Bull holding off Hamilton in a faster Mercedes, their teams fighting a strategic battle as much as the drivers were scrapping on track - it produced a race that not only thrilled in the moment, but whet the appetite for what might be to come when F1 resumes after the four-week summer break in Belgium on 1 September.

Even Hamilton was excited by the battle - which became a reality as soon as the world champion had passed team-mate Valtteri Bottas by Turn Three on the first lap and settled in behind Verstappen.

"As soon as I got into second," Hamilton said, "I was like: 'OK, this whole battle we've been talking about me and Max having we are going to have that today.' And it was really awesome."

 

Read MORE

 

Former Ghana midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng joins Fiorentina

Midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng has joined Serie A club Fiorentina from rivals Sassuolo on a permanent deal.

The Florence-based club are the third Italian side for the 32-year old after Sassuolo and AC Milan, where he won the league title in 2012.

"Fiorentina is delighted to announce the acquisition of Kevin-Prince Boateng on a permanent deal from Sassuolo," Fiorentina said in a statement on their website. 

The details of the deal for the former Ghana international have not been disclosed.

Boateng spent the second part of last season on loan at Spanish giants Barcelona, where he made four appearances as they won La Liga.

 

Read MORE

 

Andy Murray & Jamie Murray win at Washington Open

Andy Murray and Jamie Murray returned to court together for the first time since 2016 with a gutsy three-set win over experienced French pair Nicolas Mahut and Edouard Roger-Vasselin.

The Scottish brothers missed three match points before sealing a 6-4 6-7 (7-9) 10-5 win at the Washington Open.

They trailed 5-2 in the decider - a first-to-10 champions tie-break - but won eight straight points for victory.

Andy Murray, 32, is playing his fourth event since hip surgery in January.

The former world number one feared his career might be over before having the hip resurfacing operation, but returned to the doubles court five months later when he won the Queen's title alongside Spain's Feliciano Lopez.

 

Read MORE

 

Paulo Dybala: Man Utd in talks to sign Juventus forward

Manchester United are in talks over the potential signing of Juventus forward Paulo Dybala.

It is understood negotiations are at a very early stage and there is no guarantee United will make an offer for the Argentina forward, or that he would welcome a move to Old Trafford.

However, it is understood Juventus are willing to let Dybala leave as they are keen on United forward Romelu Lukaku.

The 25-year-old scored 10 goals for Juventus last season.

Lukaku is also of interest to Inter Milan, although the Serie A side have not come close to meeting United's valuation of the Belgium striker.

Read MORE

Neymar rape case dropped over lack of evidence

Police investigating rape allegations against Brazilian football player Neymar say they have closed the case.

The São Paulo attorney general's office said the case was suspended due to a lack of evidence, but will be sent to prosecutors for a final decision.

The investigation was opened after Brazilian model Najila Trindade alleged the footballer attacked her in a hotel in Paris, France, in May.

Neymar has denied the accusations, saying he is being extorted.

A spokesman for Neymar told AFP that he was not able to comment on the police decision.

 

Read MORE

 

Tour de France 2019: Egan Bernal wins, Geraint Thomas second, Caleb Ewan wins in Paris

Egan Bernal became the youngest rider in 110 years to win the Tour de France after Caleb Ewan won the traditional sprint finish in Paris.

With the race leader not challenged on the final stage, 22-year-old Bernal became the first Colombian winner.

He crossed the line in the peloton, hand-in-hand with his Ineos team-mate and last year's winner Geraint Thomas, who finished second this time.

"To finish second behind a team-mate makes it OK," said Welshman Thomas.

"Two years ago I had my arm in a sling with a broken collarbone watching Chris Froome win, wishing I was riding and I would've taken second then, but it just shows how time and expectations have moved on.

 

Read MORE

 

German Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton backs 'formidable' Sebastian Vettel

Lewis Hamilton has backed Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel to bounce back from the difficult patch he has been going through for the past year.

The German four-time world champion has made several errors, most recently when he crashed into Red Bull's Max Verstappen at the British Grand Prix.

Hamilton said: "People can be easily forgetful. I just remember him as a four-time champion and a formidable competitor. You need to keep the respect there and expect him to come back strong."

Mercedes' Hamilton beat Vettel to the world title in the past two seasons, after the Ferrari driver started each year strongly only for the team's form to tail off later in the championship.

And from the French Grand Prix in June 2018, Vettel has made eight errors during grands prix, including crashing out when leading his home race in 2018.

 

Read MORE

 

Subscribe to this RSS feed